Chapter IV. Thought As Self-Thought
- Frontismatter, preface, table of contents.
- Chapter I. Logos Identified
- Chapter II. Logos Appropriated By Ontology
- Chapter III. Thought As Sight
- » Chapter IV. Thought As Self-Thought
- Chapter V. Naming And Being
- Chapter VI. The Silence Beyond Names
- Chapter VII. Thinking Negatively : The Foundations Of The Via Negativa
- Chapter VIII. Conclusion
- Bibliography, Index
Chapter Contents: Aristotle on the identity of being and thought 77; Aristotle on mind thinking itself 81; Nous in the Epicureans 82; the Stoics 83; the Sceptics 84; Philo continues the tradition of Nous as cause, as part of the pool of cosmic being, and the question of thought's self-thought 86; the Gnostics on self-thought and naming 88; Christ as Nous in Basilides 91; general conclusions on intellect. in the Greek tradition 92.