Date of this Version
Response or Comment
Summary of major points suggested to be included in the forthcoming QLRC discussion paper:
1. Whether Neighbourhood Disputes (Dividing Fences and Trees) Act 2011 (Qld) (“the Act”) should specifically refer to mediation and related dispute resolution interventions.
2. If retaining walls are incorporated into the Act, does the title of the Act require alteration?
3. Are amendments necessary to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal Act 2009 (Qld)?
4. Whether there is a need for a register of all QCAT orders made under the Act, rather than just for orders relating to trees as is presently required.
5. In implementing the Act, whether the Department of Justice and Attorney-General dispute resolution centres should establish a physical and accessible presence in Southeast Queensland beyond Brisbane.
6. In implementing the Act, what measures could be taken to increase and improve access to justice by having greater regard to the linguistic and cultural disadvantage of non-English speaking background disputants, disabled disputants and women and other disadvantaged groups in society.
7. To consider how the Department of Justice and Attorney-General and Community Legal Centres, along with Community Justice Centres can better cooperate to achieve the Act’s objectives.