Date of this Version
This paper will briefly discuss the following:
• A catalogue of the EANTs in use in negotiation and litigation.
• How common are these behaviours amongst lawyers?
• What are the attempted controls (or not) of these EANTs in different cultures?---market isolation, law, and “ethics”?
• Focussing on attempted ethical controls, what are the five (often overlapping) historic schools of “ethics”?
• Which school of “ethics” do various written codes of law societies predominantly reflect? –answer: pragmatism and self interest.
• If the epidemic of EANTs needs to be reduced, should pragmatism and self interest be taught and modelled more expressly to and by lawyers?